Earlier today, U-KNOW released his 2nd mini-album titled NOIR. This EP has five songs, including the title track “Thank U”
Jung Yun-ho, popularly known either as Yunho or U-Know, is a South Korean singer-songwriter and actor signed to SM Entertainment. He was born on February 6th, 1986 and is currently a member of the duo act – TVXQ. U-Know debuted with TVXQ as the band’s leader in 2003.
(Please note – this is a real-time review, meaning I am typing down my exact thoughts while listening to each song.)
Reaction to Title Track/MV:
- From the teasers, I know this will be a very cinematic music video. I’m excited to see the production quality.
- U-Know looks good!!! The man is FINEEEE.
- So he was betrayed by his fellow gang members? Damn, the acting is superb.
- I wouldn’t mind if they produced an actual film with a similar storyline.
- Okay, I expected him to open the song with some smooth singing, but his actual intro is still intriguing.
- The production quality for the visuals is insane. SM spent good money on this one.
- The chorus is catchy, and U-Know sounds beautiful on the track.
- I wasn’t so into the sound when this song first started, but the chorus won me over.
- The choreography for both his dancing and fight scenes is smooth and aesthetically pleasing to watch.
- Can we give props to the music producer for that lovely jazzy instrumental bridge + U-Know’s charming vocals? I’m in love.
- 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽 The cinematography & storyline for this music video is off the charts brilliant. It kept me entertained from beginning to end.
- “Thank U” is a masterpiece and an excellent comeback for U-Know. Now I need someone to give this amazing man a similar role in a film or drama because I’m itching to watch.
- Time Machine – I am here for the electronic-hip-hop sound on this song. U-Know is serving vocals!! on this one, and I am living my best life. The beat for “Time Machine” is sick🔥. I need to know who wrote and produced this track because I am enjoying every moment of it. It’s a whole vibe.
- Thank U – This song is a certified bop that I see myself coming back to a lot. The production on U-Know’s voice + the beat is perfect. Plus, the song has a nice message, so what’s not to love?
- Loco (House Party) –Ooo, I adore the rich bass on this track. It makes me feel like I’m actually at a house party with loudspeakers blasting the best music ever. Nice production👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼. The classic call and response technique was also a brilliant touch. “Loco” is a lit disco track, and I am digging all the energy.
- Need You Right Now – Okay, it looks like things are slowing down with this song. I was not expecting the chorus to be such a vibe!!! “Need You Right Now” is more chill than the previous tracks, but the melody & quality is beautiful. I adore how U-Know sounds on this track. It feels intimate because he’s almost whispering in some sections.
- La Rosa (Feat. SHIN YE EUN) – Okay, the guitar on this serving the right dose of Spanish flavour and the vocals/harmonies are pure bliss. I sound like a broken record by now, but I AM IN LOVE😄. I can’t even pick my favourite yet from all five songs, but “La Rosa” is hitting the feels hard for me. What a song and a very befitting closing to this album.
I didn’t mention it earlier, but this album marks my first time listening to U-Know’s solo material. I love TVXQ, hence why I decided to check him out finally, and I am genuinely impressed. The production quality on this album is impeccable. NOIR is a straight masterpiece. U-Know served vocals and divine energy on every track. No single song on this record was a letdown, so I’m going to enjoy them without stressing about which is better than the other.
With all that said, my rating for U-Know‘s 2nd mini-album NOIR is a solid 10/10.