Hello everyone, I hope you all are having a great day.
In this post, I will be reviewing Jung Seung Hwan’s latest release. On the 5th of December, the singer released a new digital single titled “My Christmas Wish”. The single also has a b-side track titled “Hello, goodbye winter”. This will be my first time actually listening to music from Jung Seung Hwan. I know him from Kpop star 4, and I have heard a few of his OSTs and features, but I never got to check out his own music. “My Christmas Wish” was composed by Kim Jae Hwi, and the lyrics were actually written by IU. I know Jung Seung Hwan to be a great singer, so I really wanted to check this song out. Jung Seung Hwan is a South Korean singer signed under Antenna. He was the runner-up contestant for K-pop Star Season 4. The singer made his official debut in November 2016 with the EP – His Voice. Even before debut, he had already gained recognition through his soundtracks for South Korean dramas, which charted quite high on music streaming sites.
(Note – this is a real-time review, meaning I am typing down my exact thoughts while listening to each song.)
Reaction to Official MV for My Christmas Wish:
- Oh, no English captions.😢
- I love how this song starts. It really gives off that festive feeling.
- I remember the first time I ever listened to Jung Seung Hwan on Kpop Star, his singing style reminded me of older Korean ballad singers. He has a very distinct style and a sweet voice to top.
- Some songs naturally give off a nostalgic vibe, even without English translations. I do not know why, but “My Christmas Wish” is making me miss home and how it was spending Christmas with my family.
- His voice is so beautiful. It gives off such a warm and embracing feeling.
- The backing vocals on this song are angelic.
- The soft keyboard in the background is so soothing.
- Also, the music video is pretty. I love the fall colours that were used.
- Oooohh, I love how he modulated towards the end of the song. That gave me chills and just brought this song to a whole different level.
- I love this song. An excellent ballad is always a blessing to listen to.
- Nice touch on ending softly.
- I knew he was going to nail this ballad, and he sure did his thing.
- I am so glad that I decided to check this song out. Time to listen to it again but with English captions
- So he wants to confess to the person he loves while the snow is still falling. He wants her to hurry up and meet him before all the snow goes away. Basically, his Christmas wish is to gather courage and confess his feelings. That is what I am getting from the lyrics.
- The modulation he does towards the end always hits me hard. That might be my favourite section of the song.
- My rating for “My Christmas Wish” is 10/10. All the Christmas songs I have listened to so far are just amazing.
- Thanks to IU, I was able to know about this song, and I will start checking out more music from Jung Seung Hwan now.
- Here is a clip of him performing this song live –
Reaction to B-side track – Hello, goodbye winter:
- I love how the first note starts out softly but takes to the climax before the actual instrumental comes in. That is just divine.
- I need to hear it again. The first 0.36 seconds of this song is powerful. This is going to be good
- I appreciate how Jung Seung Hwan sings the beginning of each line in a shallow tone.
- Oh My, he sounds so angelic.
- I keep going back just to catch every little way he explores his voice on this song.
- His ability to flow between high notes to lower notes and also from falsetto to his regular voice is incredible. He was born to sing.
- “Hello, goodbye winter” is another fantastic ballad.
- In some parts of this song, it almost sounds like he is adopting a classical style of singing for a few seconds and then quickly switches back. I am not a music expert, so I cannot give technical terms.
- The instrumental for this song is really astounding.
- I love the drums that came in towards the end. Excellent addition to bringing in more intensity before the end of the song.
- Wow, that high note he just hit was insane. It felt so full. Almost like the sound came from every part of his body. I am in awe.
- There are some high notes that you go – “oh yeah, that’s amazing,” and there are some that leave your mouth hanging – “how did he belt out such a note.?”
- I loved every moment of this song.
- “Hello, goodbye winter” gave me a lot of wow moments, and I will be adding both songs to my playlist.
- My rating for this song is also 10/10.
Guys go check out both songs if you have listened to them already. Jung Seung Hwan is a phenomenal singer, so you definitely will not be disappointed.
I hope you all are getting into the holiday spirit. 💕💕