Today’s post will be a review of DAY6’s latest release. I am so excited. I tried to stay away from the teasers and the album sampler, but I could not resist. From the little I heard, I feel the album is going to be good. So let us get right into it.
DAY6 is a South Korean band managed by JYP Entertainment. The group has five members: Jae, Sungjin, Young K, Wonpil and Dowoon. I will be reviewing their third regular album – The Book of Us: Entropy.
“Sweet Chaos” is the title track for this album.
(This is a real-time review, meaning I am typing down my exact thoughts while listening to the songs.)
Reaction to Official MV/Title track:
- I am just a few seconds in, and I already love it.
- I do not know if it is just my ears, but the beginning instrumental has a slight jazz feel.
- Anyways “Sweet Chaos” is definitely hardcore rock, and I am here for it.
- Okay, because I could not get over the jazz sound, I had to pause the music video to do some research. According to the information from DAY6’s official profile on the JYP Entertainment website, “Sweet Chaos” is a combination of the swing genre and the explosive sound of punk rock. The swing music style is commonly used in blues and jazz, so my ears were not deceiving me.
- They all look so good.🥰🥰🥰
- Young K, with his “right is left, left is right,” really got me. He came hard with his verse. An excellent way to start the song.
- Oooh, they made a great decision on starting the music video in black and white and then splashing in the colours.
- I am in love with the aesthetic of this video.
- All the vocalists sound fantastic, as always.
- I am already jamming to this, and I am only halfway through the song.
- Basically, “Sweet Chaos” is about losing control of your life because of the person you are in love with.
- The individual shots of them with wet hair is so beautiful. Way too much handsome faces on my screen. Once again, the music video is stunning.
- I love how it ended. I believe it was Jae that sang the last bit (please correct me if I am wrong).
- As of now, typing this sentence, I have not listened to the album yet, but I can already tell that it is going to be good. This title track is superb, so my excitement to check out the full album is on another level now. But before I do that, I am going to watch this music video again.😄😄😄
- I just did my fifth watch, and the song is still hype and intriguing with every listen. So… I think it is safe to say that I really love “Sweet Chaos.”
- I hope you all enjoy listening to this song as well.
I already mentioned this in my previous album review, but I am going to state it again. When I listen to albums, I do not shuffle or pick particular songs. I follow the given arrangement. Every artist has a reason for placing certain songs at a specific point of an album. So shuffling on your first listen, might cause you to miss the beauty and message that the artist was trying to convey.
Now time to dive in –
- Deep in love – The beginning reminds me of funky Motown songs. Kool & The Gang came to my mind once the song started. Oooh, the chorus on this is too good; it so catchy. It sounds quite trippy at first, but I really love the harmonization. They went crazy with the drums and the guitar riffs towards the end, and I LOVE IT. I think this might be my favourite song on the album, but it is too early to decide that, so I will just chill. 😆😆
- Sweet Chaos – It still sounds great, and this is my sixth time listening to it. I already wrote about this song, so I am just going to enjoy it.💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼
- EMERGENCY – What is this techno sound? I love the beginning – “Breathe in, Breathe in and out and in and out and out.” It is so cool. Lol, I hear Dowoons voice. I cannot even focus on typing my reaction; I am here dancing. Honestly, no exaggeration here, this song goes hard. I have to listen to it again.
- Rescue Me – Straight up started like an anime opening. YessSS Wonpil, please bless me with vocals. I am not even going to discuss instrumentalization anymore because DAY6 has already confirmed the fact that they eat their instruments for breakfast, lunch and dinner. LMAO, the song ended I was like really, is that it? I need more. I need to see them live😥. “Rescue Me” is definitely anime music.
- 365247 – This seems more mellow. Definitely Pop with Latin influence. I also hear a slight dancehall influence, most notably with the singing style. “365247” is softer compared to the previous tracks but still upbeat. I enjoyed it. The bridge towards the end is my favourite part. Dowoon sang the bridge section, and it really suits his voice. This is another great party song.
- About Now – The beginning of “About Now” sounds like the background tune for a video game. And then at some point, it changes to lift music (i.e. elevator music). Do not get me wrong, the music is charming, but that just came to mind once I heard it. I believe the album is taking a different direction at this point. This is why I do not shuffle. I want to see how things flow. I love the calmness of this track. That “lalalala, la la la” is so soft and cute. They all sound beautiful on this.
- OUCH – This also starts out like lift music, but I could picture it being played at a cafe. This is also another great song. I love the “Aya ya ya ya, neomu apa na na na na.” It is always interesting to hear such lyrics in songs. Because at first, I thought they were singing “you’re my banana na na,” but I had to look it up to be sure.😂😂😂 Yes, Young K comes in with the rap. Some Latin influence again. So this song is still upbeat, but I think it has a melancholic feel.
- Not Fine – I love the bass on this. I think this might be one of my top songs from the album, along with “Deep in love.” It is a groovy track but still emotional. It reminds me of another song I have heard, but I cannot place it. So far, all the songs have been great, not one was dull. As expected from DAY6. The vocalization on “Not Fine” is really captivating.
- Stop Talking – Yes, to the reggae style of this song. The guitar playing during the chorus really took me by surprise. I was not expecting it to take that route. I feel like I am a broken record at this point, but their vocals. Some people are just blessed. I really love the rasp in Sungjin voice, and the guitars on this song are epic.
- Not Mine – Why does the beginning of this song sound like they about to sing a musical number? Once it started, I felt like I was listening to the phantom of the opera. Sorry for all my random thoughts😂, but this is how my brain works😂😂. Damn…Wonpil did not have to come for my edges like that with that start. The intensity of this song can get anyone’s attention. Another favourite for me. From “Not Fine” to “Not Mine,” we seem to be slowing getting back into the intensity from the beginning of the album but in a different style. Excellent arrangement.
- Like a flowing wind – Looks like we are ending things with a rock-ballad. Very powerful vocalization on the chorus of this song. This is such a beautiful track to end the album with. I really enjoyed listening to “Like a flowing wind.” Now it is time to listen to the entire album again.
While I do that,
Here is the album sampler for you all to get a real feel of what the songs sound like. I listened to The Book of Us: Entropy on Spotify and it is also available on iTunes and Apple music.
This album has already been added to my playlist. I enjoyed the entire 37 minutes and 25 seconds of listening to The Book of Us: Entropy. DAY6 produced a fantastic album. They did not disappoint me. I was really excited about their comeback, and I am happy that I did not miss out on such a masterpiece. I loved every song, but I definitely have my favourites that will be on repeat longer compared to others.
My rating for this album is 10/10.
That is it for this post, loves. Go listen to The Book of Us: Entropy because it is a full experience. And when you are done with that, check out other great songs from DAY6. I have one right here –